My latest Post.

This view,this beauty
A tear unbidden
Creeps into my eye.

My stay is short
But I shall return to this place
If only my life is long enough.

Such beauty
Gazing upon it
I hope my years are many.

Bokusui Wakayama.

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Shrines and Temples.

   Those of you who have read my hiking/biking trip reports - "Everytrail". "Ride with G.P.S". "Facebook,The Great Outdoors - Japan". - will notice a common denominator in most of my reports. That is, I have included a visit to a Shrine and/or Temple. Let me make it clear, it's not the main reason why I venture outdoors. With some 100,000 Shrines spread throughout Japan and just as many Temples, one can't help but stumble-across one of these complexes while out exploring the great-outdoors. They come in many shapes-and-sizes, each one has it's own uniqueness but, at the same time, they are very much the same. Some, like the famous Fushimi Inari in Kyoto, are extremely popular and a visit to Kyoto wouldn't be complete without a visit to this complex (In 2005, during Hatsumode, some 3.5-million devotees visited this complex over a 3-day period). Then there are the not-so-popular Shrines (these are the ones I prefer), the ones that are so isolated very few know they exist. One of the most spectacular of all the Shrines I have visited is the one atop Atago-san (Mt Atago) Atago-jinja - Everytrail & Atago-jinja - Wikipedia. in Kyoto Prefecture. This magnificent complex sits just below the summit of Mt Atago (986m), which raises the question, if this Shrine is hundreds-of-years-old,how was it constructed? When we consider the machinery we have at our disposal today - cranes,diggers,trucks e.t.c. - back then all they had was physical manpower - sweat & muscle.
 One of my favorite Shrines is this one in the village of Kamocho Takasari. Moriyawatamiya-jinja Shrine was set in amongst rocks just a few meters off a country lane.
After passing-through the vermilion colored Torii, and ascending the hundred or so steps, you reach the Shrine. On the two occasions I have been here, I have stayed about 1-hour and used the time to have a bite-to-eat, check my map and just take-in the surroundings.


   This brings me to the part of this post where I explain to you what a Shrine is. Well I'm not, the people at  Wikipedia are (when you have read this, you will understand why). In Japan, a Shrine is where devotees of the Shinto Religion come to pray. But Shrines are not just unique to Japan, as you will see in the following link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrine.


    Shinto and Buddhism are the main Religions practiced in Japan, with a sprinkling of Christianity. Which brings me to a question I would dearly-love  someone to help me find an answer for. In Japan, as I have just explained, a Shrine is home to devotees of Shinto and a Temple is home to devotees of Buddhism. But I have also been told that a Shrine is where one goes to pray to God, and a Temple where one prays to their ancestors, regardless, I presume, of denomination. True - or- false? Now (the plot thickens), if that is the case, what about this situation. On a recent outing to Yamashirocho (Yamashiro Town) I came-across a Temple nestled-amongst the hills and trees overlooking Kizugawashi (Kizugawa City). Gyokudai-ji Temple is a Zen Buddhist Temple but, as you will see in these photos, there is a Shrine on the complex.
On the left is the Torii and, further inside, is the Shrine.









   Well, I think I have about exhausted your time with this topic. In the coming weeks I will post articles covering etiquette, when visiting a Shrine, and the many buildings that make-up the complex.
   
   Before I sign-off, I will include 2-photos of Isa Grand Shrine, in Mie Prefecture. This makes interesting reading.


   So, until next time, it's been my pleasure to share this with you and I look forward to any comments, suggestions and additions you may have.

                                                    Yours e.t.c.

                                                            Ross-Barry.

No comments:

Post a Comment